Human Rights Voices
  • Home
  • What's New
  • Videos
  • Gallery
  • About
  • Who
  • Contact
  • DONATE

August 20, 2026

U.S. plans to again bar Abbas from going to NYC for U.N. address next month — official

Mahmoud Abbas at the U.N. General Assembly (File photo via screenshot)
"For the second year in a row, US President Donald Trump’s administration plans to prevent Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas from traveling to New York next month to speak before the United Nations General Assembly, a US official told The Times of Israel.

The US refused to grant Abbas a visa to enter the US last year, claiming the PA had been taking steps that undermine prospects for peace.

Washington didn’t elaborate on its specific grievances with Ramallah at the time, and the move was seen as part of an effort to undermine a conference that France and Saudi Arabia were hosting ahead of the General Assembly’s high-level week last year that was aimed at promoting a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The Trump administration opposed the gathering, claiming that it was a reward to Hamas and undermined efforts to end the war in Gaza.

No such conference is scheduled at the UN this year, but the US plans to maintain the precedent regarding Abbas that it set last year, the US official said..."
Date
August 20, 2026
Title
U.S. plans to again bar Abbas from going to NYC for U.N. address next month — official, The Times of Israel
Author(s)
Jacob Magid
Original Source
http://timesofisrael.com/us-plans-to-again-bar-abbas-from-going-to-nyc-for-un-address-next-month-official/
Attachment
Click here to view this article in MS Word/PDF format
  • Print this Page
Back to Top
  • © Copyright 2012-2026, Human Rights Voices and respective authors. All Rights Reserved.
  • RSS

Source: