On March 24, 2016, UN "Human Rights" Council President Choi Kyonglim appointed Canadian Michael Lynk to be the new "investigator" of human rights in Israel - despite, or because of, his very public anti-Israel agenda. Kyonglim wrote that he selected Lynk based on his "impartiality; personal integrity; and objectivity." Lynk's "impartial and objective" record on Israel includes comparing Israelis to Nazis and questioning the creation of the state of Israel as born of "ethnic cleansing." For instance:
The Times of Israel
- "Settlement implementation projects have been prohibited...Illustrative examples from history include...the transfer by the Nazis of German-speaking peoples into newly conquered lands during the Second World War... Israeli settlements, and those Israeli political, military and settlement movement leaders who have engineered the ongoing settlement project, fall within these domestic prohibitions...[L]itigate the promise of international criminal law: that war crimes and crimes against humanity should know no immunity."
"The wall and the settlements," UN International Meeting on the Question of Palestine: Implementing the advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice on the legal consequences of the construction of a wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory - the role of Governments, intergovernmental organizations and civil society, March 8, 2005
- "'It is evident that Israeli courts are not interested in allowing claims of international law for damages caused by the occupation,' said Dr. Lynk. 'The principle issue is to persuade countries, like Canada, France, Australia, England, and other countries that accepted the Rome Status to try Israel,' he continued."
"'Israel's' Right-Wing Plans Against Al-Aqsa, SilverLinings Blog Amr Taha, November 8, 2009
- "'A political arrangement that limits democracy to a privileged class and keeps others behind military checkpoints, barbed-wire fences and separation walls does not define democracy. It defines its absence... David Shulman has recently written ... 'Israel's policy of colonizing the West Bank' includes... 'an entrenched regime of state terror...'
"A Fierce Attachment: Canada, Israel, Palestine and the Harper Years," The Harper Decade: Canada has changed (Blog), Michael Lynk, August 25, 2015
- "Israel ... brutally occupies another people, and keeps the Palestinians of Gaza trapped within ... an open-air prison..."
"International law should give both sides pause in Israel-Palestine conflict," The Star, Michael Lynk, August 11, 2014
- "More than anything else the Palestinian leadership could do, seeking membership in the International Criminal Court ... has the potential for dramatically altering the political landscape in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. A victory at the International Criminal Court would isolate Israel..."
"Following UN settlement report, the path forward for Palestinian leadership is clear - take Israel to the International Criminal Court," Mondoweiss, Michael Lynk, February 1, 2013
has also reported that Lynk has said
that "the solution to the problem [the Israeli-Palestinian conflict] must go back to 1948, the date of partition and the start of ethnic-cleansing" and that he has signed petitions
supporting "Israeli Apartheid" events.